Friday, July 19, 2013

Recycled Crayon Rocks

Assalamu alaykum,

We  had a lot of crayons that were in pretty colors but broken, rendering them unusable. The hoarder in me had won making them take up space in quite a few places  Since I'm one for recycling any day, I thought this would be a lesson in recycling and reusing for DS10.

We sorted them into like colors and broke the bigger pieces. I had a few egg cartons lying in my cupboard for such an activity and I lined it with butter paper and filled them each with a separate collection of crayon bits.
I heated the microwave to 220 degrees centigrade and cooked on high for 5 minutes. This melted the wax and then I let it cool on the counter. Kept it in the freezer for five minutes and viola.
Crayon Rocks ready to go. 
DD4 has started using them already :).








Variations:
 -Pour the melted wax into candy molds from paper cups and freeze for 20 minutes. They pop out and are ready to use.

 -You can use metal cookie cutters on flat butter paper/ cookie sheet lined with tin foil in a regular oven.

No comments: